fbpx

How to Listen to the Ethereal “Salvation Is Created” by Tschesnokoff

Lori Archer Sutherland

Lori Archer Sutherland earned a Bachelor of Music in Theory and Composition degree from the Ohio State University and a Master of Library and Information Science degree from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. She composes, performs, and teaches clarinet. She plays bass clarinet with the Crystal Lake Community Band and the Woodstock City Band, clarinet with Winds Off the Lake Woodwind Quintet, and is the founder and organizer of the Knock on Wood Clarinet Choir, where she plays an even bigger clarinet. Check out her site and podcast at tonaldiversions.com

11 Responses

1. D says:

god, I want to know more. Is there some prior knowledge to writing music that I should know? I mean, I’m thinking this must be divinely inspired. Yet, he was able to get it all down on paper for the world to hear. I wonder if the ideas behind a salvation created were new back then or was he simply putting to music some common place idea.
    In any event, I can research this on my own; but thanks, thanks for, although you may not know it, furthering my on little investigation into what can save us. Peace and God’s blessings, David

2. bclplyr (Lori) says:

Good questions. I’m thinking that the ideas might not have been new, but he was writing during some tough times in the Soviet era. From what I’ve read, this was the last piece (or one of the last pieces) of church music he wrote. I’d guess that all of what was going on at the time influenced the creation of this piece, and we certainly reap the benefit as we have this wonderful piece that we can still enjoy a hundred years later.

It’s hard to answer your question about prior knowledge and writing music. Certainly there have been people who are able to write music without having any formal music training or putting anything down on paper. I’d argue that it helps to have at least some basic musical knowledge (notes, rhythms, key signatures, etc.), but it isn’t absolutely necessary. Does that answer your question at all? If not, please feel free to write again.

3. jimiellis says:

Great blog Lori! Very informative, your friend on Twitter,,,, Jimi 🙂

4. bclplyr (Lori) says:

Thanks for visiting, Jimi!

5. Jim Bagley says:

Thanks for a great post. I discovered “Salvation is Created” in 1977 as a member of the Jacksonville State University Marching Southerners. To this day, it is the band’s warm-up chorale, and much, much more. The current band director, Dr. Ken Bodiford, is a JSU alum and has a deep love for the band’s traditions and has incorporated several of those in marching shows over the years. For those who aren’t familiar with the Marching Southerners, the band is far closer in style and approach to a drum and bugle corps than to most college marching bands. This year’s show is entitled “Salvation is Created: A Journey from Darkness to Light.” Here’s a link to the show announcement on the band’s homepage. http://marchingsoutherners.org/showAnnouncement/2014Salvation.php

Here is a link to video of the September 16 performance at the Calhoun County marching band exhibition. Note: the show is not complete. The performance includes the 1st, 2nd, and final movements. The 3rd movement will be added soon. There’s a lot of getting set and that sort of thing at the start of the video. The actual performance begins at about the 1:00 point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-sH-OtD2U&feature=youtu.be

• Great concept for a show! I wasn’t familiar with JSU (Big Ten girl myself 🙂 ), so I thank you for sharing the link. I really enjoyed the show so far – excellent band! I’ll keep them on my radar and want to watch some of the other videos that are up.

“Salvation Is Created” is such a moving piece, and has been one of my favorites for quite a while now. Thanks for stopping by!

• Jim Bagley says:

I’ll be a pest with it, but JSU has the full show on the field now. Here’s a link to last Saturday’s performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4wTsy5mmvc

• Not a pest at all! Thank you for sending the link. I finally got a chance to sit down and give it a proper viewing, and thought it was a great performance. (My husband asked me to note that he liked it as well 🙂 ) I especially liked how the various tunes weaved in and out of each other. I’m amazed at the size of the group – that’s quite an army of xylophones!

My HS marching band had about 30 people, so I’m always fascinated by the large bands. Didn’t participate in college, as OSU is brass only and I play clarinet, but loved watching them (and I’m reminded that I’ve been neglectful in watching any of their shows this year…)

6. Shirley Ann says:

I’m anxious to listen to it. Is there a piano version?

1. September 5, 2017

[…] about Tschesnokoff (sometimes also transliterated as Chesnokov) at Wikipedia, and his creation at Tonal Diversions and Musica Russica (including a preview of the choral […]

%d bloggers like this: